Easy Vegan Apple Cake
Easy Vegan Apple Cake
This easy vegan apple cake is packed with crisp, sweet and nourishing apples. Made with just eight ingredients (plus salt and water) and requiring just 15 minutes of active kitchen preparation, it’s as easy to make as it is to enjoy.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Servings: 8 slices
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons filtered water
1 stick (½ cup) vegan butter
1 cup raw cane sugar, plus more for topping
½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1½ cups all purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
2½ cups peeled, cored and chopped apples (about 2 apples)
Powdered sugar (optional for icing)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the sides. Alternatively, line a regular 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper. If you're using a springform pan, place it on top of a baking tray (this will catch any drippings in the event that the pan leaks).
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal and the filtered water. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until thickened.
3. In a large mixing bowl, use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat together the vegan butter and brown sugar on high for 2 minutes (set a timer). Add the thickened flaxseed mixture, vinegar, and vanilla, and beat again for 30 seconds, or until thoroughly incorporated.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and sea salt. With the mixer off, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Slowly turn the mixer on low, increasing to medium, and beat for 30 seconds, or until thoroughly combined. The batter should be very thick and fluffy.
5. Fold the chopped apples into the batter.
6. Evenly spoon the batter into the prepared pan, using a spatula to smooth. Sprinkle the top with a thin layer of cane sugar.
7. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
8. Transfer the cake pan to a heat-safe cooling rack. If you used a springform pan, release the wall of the pan and remove (this allows the cake to vent steam and expedites the cooling process). Cool completely.
9. If you'd like to ice the cake, vigorously whisk together about two cups powdered sugar with a few tablespoons filtered water, adding more powdered sugar as needed to thicken or more water as needed to thin. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
10. Slice and serve! Leftovers will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator.
By Ashley Melillo, Author, Recipe Writer and Photographer at Blissful Basil. More delicious vegetarian and vegan recipes at BlissfulBasil.com.