Vegan Vanilla Spelt Donuts
These vegan vanilla spelt donuts offer a delicious dose of cheery fun to morning dining! Requiring just 30 minutes of time, these baked donuts come together in a flash. Super soft, fluffy and spring-y vanilla donuts are dipped in glaze and playfully decorated with rainbow sprinkles. Serves 12!
2 cups spelt flour or all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
¾ cup plant-based milk
½ cup organic cane sugar
⅓ cup expeller-pressed grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Glaze + Topping
2 cups powdered sugar, more if
needed to thicken
4 tablespoons plant-based milk,
more or less as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease two small (or one large) donut trays.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the milk, sugar, oil, vanilla, and vinegar and stir until incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon or pipe the batter evenly into the prepared donut trays, gently smoothing as you go.
- Bake for 13 to 17 minutes, or until golden, a toothpick inserted into one of the donuts comes out clean and the sides of the donuts begin to pull away from the pan. (My oven bakes these in 15 minutes flat.)
- Let cool for 5 minutes in pans. Meanwhile, place a sheet of parchment paper under a wire cooling rack. Carefully remove the donuts from the pans and transfer to the cooling rack.
- Cool completely. When the donuts are nearly cool, prepare the glaze.
- In a medium shallow mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency is reached. Important: Start by adding 2 tablespoons of the milk and work your way up from there one tablespoon at a time until a very thick but pourable glaze consistency is reached. The total amount of milk needed will depend on a variety of factors, including the specific type of plant-based milk you use as well as the humidity level in the air.
- One at a time, dip the top of each donut into the glaze. Note: If you find that your glaze is too thin, whisk in more powdered sugar until desired thickness is reached. If you find that it’s too thick, whisk in more milk until the desired thinness is reached.
- Transfer to the cooling rack and generously top with sprinkles. Repeat.
- Allow the glaze to set completely before moving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Recipe and photos by Ashley Melillo. Find more delicious vegan and vegetarian recipes at BlissfulBasil.com.